Cache River Paradise


        
        Just a couple weeks ago, I feasted my eyes on the oldest tree in Illinois while eagles and blue herons flew around me, a snake swam near me, and a fish jumped over my canoe. This all happened in the Cache River, a 92 mile long wetland that provides a habitat for more than 100 endangered species. It used to be a floodplain, but when the Ohio River took its present course, the Cache River became a swamp.
        
        When I visited the Cache River, I went canoeing in a route that would take us to eagle pond, which is an open pond surrounded by ancient bald cypress trees. The majestic eagles were flying around the beautiful pond as I drank in the scene. We would then go to see the champion cyprus. This 1000+ year old living bald cypress tree lays in a small secluded area branching off of the Cache River. This tree is so old that you aren’t even allowed to touch it!
 
        I would definitely say that nature is the most impressive part of the Cache River, the amount of human silence couldn’t be matched to anywhere else I have been. The natural song, like the water lapping the canoe, the birds singing, and the splashes of fish, were the only sounds to be heard.

        The Cache River seems like nature in its finest, without human interference. With the massive cypress trees, snakes, and jumping fish, the Cache River is a vast and beautiful wetland that I would not hesitate to visit again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Devious Cheat At the Olympics

Su Bingtian